Skip to main content

How to prepare for RMO?

"Let's wait for this exam to get over".. *Proceeds to wait for 2 whole fricking years! 

I always wanted to write a book recommendation list, because I have been asked so many times! But then I was always like "Let's wait for this exam to get over" and so on. Why? You see it's pretty embarrassing to write a "How to prepare for RMO/INMO" post and then proceed to "fail" i.e not qualifying. 

Okay okay, you might be thinking, "Sunaina you qualified like in 10th grade itself, you will obviously qualify in 11th and 12th grade." No. It's not that easy. Plus you are talking to a very underconfident girl. I have always underestimated myself. And I think that's the worst thing one can do itself. Am I confident about myself now? Definitely not but I am learning not to self-depreciate myself little by little.

Okay, I shall write more about it in the next post describing my experience in 3 different camps and 1 program. 

So, I got serious about the mathematical Olympiads from grade 9, when I heard about EGMO i.e European Girls' Mathematical Olympiad. EGMO is quite fascinating, being able to represent India is really everyone's dream. And the peer group is surely the best experience.. Solving problems with everyone and even playing games. Participating in group competitions ( Online Math Open and TrinMac, even Integirls was fun).

Anyways, what any beginner would ask a senior  is "THE PERFECT BOOK RECOMMENDATION LIST." And I think there's no perfect answer. The reason is this list differs from person to person.  Evan Chen's website actually has a great list here! So do surf through it once.

But here's a book recommendation list along with some FAQs from the Indian Math Olympiads perspective. (I was actually asked by a few people, so why not share here instead ). 

Note: I am surely not the best person to write this since I am not at all qualified. But here's the compilation, which I think everyone follows. 

Again, the level is PRMO/IOQM to RMO types. 

Here are a few books one must complete before trying other books. These books are to be done to make fundamentals clear and are almost enough theory for PRMO/IOQM level (The first round of the mathematical olympiad ). Additionally, please do see the Pythagoras theorem’s proof, intuitive one.

Basics:-

1. NCERT Class 8

2. NCERT Class 9

3. NCERT Class 10

4. NCERT Class 11 ( Sets, Relations and functions, principle of mathematical induction, Permutations and combinations, Binomial theorem, sequence and series, straight lines)

Note:- Many of the problems are very same, so feel free to skip them. Chapters like Statistics and SI, CI can be freely skipped.

And to get a taste of how Olympiad Mathematics is try Mathematical circles. (5)


Beginner ( Only the above-mentioned books are the pre-requisites)

1. Arihant- Indian National Mathematical Olympiad ( Rajeev Manocha) ( Theory of Numbers, Theory of equations, Combinatorics)

2. Challenges and thrill of Pre-college mathematics. ( Polynomials, Inequalities)

After these two refer to the following for more practice,

3. Pearson’s Pathfinder to Olympiad mathematics (Recursion (recommended by PC), Inequalities, Induction, Functional equation, Geometry)

 The pdfs of books at points 2 and 3 are easily available in libgen.


Miscellaneous Problems (PRMO/IOQM types):-

1. Past year papers

2. American Mathematical Competition 10 ( problem range 1- 18), AMC 12 (1-15) and AIME problem range (1-7)

Note: These were written from the perspective that one only just have to clear the stage and not prepare so hard, generally give like 2-month prep, and if you are from  low cutoff areas like Assam or Ne, 1 month is sufficient)

Miscellaneous Olympiad style problems (easy RMO level types):-

1. Old INMO/ RMO problems ( till 2005)

2. Old Canada Math olympiad problems (these can be found out at the art of problem-solving website, contest--> National contest--> Canada) ( till 1990)


Intermediate (olympiad i.e long answers problems):-

0. (MUST) Mathematical circles ( this develops the intuition required)

1. Geometry:- a. ABJTOG A beautiful journey through Olympiad geometry ( this book is open for all)

b. EGMO=Euclidean Geometry in mathematical olympiads (pdf available in libgen)

for RMO chapter 1,2,3,4 suffices from EGMO and ABJTOG (version 1.3) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15.

for INMO whole book except chapters 6,7 from EGMO and ABJTOG whole book.

2. Number theory:Theory: David burton( pdf in libgen)

Problems:- 104 Problems in Number theory – Titu Andreescu ( pdf in libgen)

3. Combinatorics:- Past year INMO problems suffice, but Pablo Seberon’s Problem-solving methods in Combinatorics ( available in libgen) is nice.

Also, Problem-solving strategies by  Aurther Engel ( springer) (available in libgen), refer to chapters first 3 chapters.

4. Algebra, I haven’t done much algebra, but I think the book’s I mentioned are sufficient.


Miscellaneous:- Also the problems are available on the art of problem-solving website.

1. Start trying out INMO/RMO problems

2. USAJMO P1,P4( USA junior math olympiad problems)

4. IMO P1s and easy problems ( old contests)

5. Shortlist problems of range 1 or sometimes 2.

More reading:- (just google search the names, and we can find the website.

0. You can check out my Olympiads page for some handouts and problem sets. 

1. Evan Chen’s Handouts

2. Alex Remerov’s Handouts

3. Yufei Zhao’s Handouts ( I did almost all of his handouts)

4. Rohan Goyal's Handouts ( Rg's handouts can be found 
here ) 

5. Modern Olympiad Number Theory by Aditya Khurmi

A few FAQs:-

1. Is it necessary to complete all the chapters?

Ans: No. Not at all. I am pretty sure completing all these books, and papers will take you a lot of time. Feel free to skip problems. Also if you feel a problem is ugly, just skip it. 

2. Is it okay to skip problems?

Ans: Yes. At least I think. See, the whole essence of Olympiad math ( at least Intermediate Olympiad math) is to make you love math and not force you to do the math. And doing problems, which don't seem ugly, is completely fine. 

3. How do you define ugly?

Ans: Self-explanatory. It's from person to person. I feel ugly problems are geometry ineqs, weird graph theory problems using high fi stuff, bashes. But this is my PoV, for you, it might differ. I know people who love to just bash a geo problem. So you see it varies.

4. You said to do both EGMO and ABTJOG.. How exactly should we do?
Ans: I posted this answer, quite long time ago in STEM-Horizons. 

I will repost it here.

Disclaimer:- I am really a bad person to suggest, so take me lightly. So I personally think one should get a like a full base ready.. so imo if you are quite new to geos then start from ABJTOG. And do like the first 17 chapters and chapter 24 . 

I know it sounds big but each chapter is quite small in theory, yet really cute. Do the exercises problems too side on side. And by exercise problems, try like at least half of them ( not full if u don't want to). 

After these 17 chapters, You would have already completed the theory need in the first 4 chapters! So then start the first egmo chapters, and "theory" won't feel new. 

Why am I even saying to try both? This is because egmo assumes that you know some geometry, but in case of ABJTOG, it really teaches you from what we say the actual base of geometry(euclidean). Plus idk about others but EGMO was a bit too fast for me to digest. 

Now after this, skip the bash chapters from egmo( Just skip them :P). And choose any one of projective /inversion, doesn't matter which one you choose. Both are quite cute and both are quite helpful tools. But for either of them, refer EGMO. A special note for inversion is that do refer it from ABJTOG after u completed egmo inversion. It has \sqrt{BC} and \sqrt{BC/2} inversion, which egmo hasn't talked much.

 But on the side, I am telling you to do after egmo since ABJTOG hasn't gone to the dept of inversion, so quite hard to digest. Projective/harmonic is really nice in egmo, I haven't even touched it from ABJTOG. But I think pole/ polars chapter is nice too in ABJTOG. Now for chapter 10 i.e complete quads from egmo. I would personally say that egmo thing is enough, but if you want really dept then, really u must do chapter 18 and chapter 19 first and then do egmo. Then u are left with bashing chapters in egmo and Feuerbach’s Theorem in ABJTOG. Now complete ur choice, do whatever u want!!

 I haven't the Feuerbach’s Theorem in ABJTOG, but i heard there's a simple complex bash solution, so I would read that instead! 

Yeah, that's it :P. Sorry. Woah lol it turned out to be pretty big 

5. How many hours should I study?

Ans: I never ever recommend this question to be asked. I used to ask too, but it is sometimes annoying. Here's the thing it differs from person to person. Some of my friends just study for 3 hrs and clear INMO. But some study hrs and hrs. I read somewhere that on average people spend 48 hrs a week.
   
Not to fix any time; just do it whenever you want to do it-- Anand

6. Should we prefer Handouts or Books?
Ans: Handouts are nice. I think both. For handouts, ask your peers what you should try.

7. I just started out Oly but I am doing X too ( where X is NTSE, JEE, KVPY,etc). Is it okay?
Ans: No in my opinion. Some people are able to manage, but most can't. I couldn't even manage my boards, now I am going to be kicked out soon of the house once the results are announced.

JEE is very hard. I tried to manage both and I am failing miserably. So one has to choose one (luckily I am now retired so it's fine).

8. Any olympiad similar to RMO/INMO?

Ans: For RMO, Try NMTC, Pakistan MOs, Bangladesh National MOs, Canada old MOs, Peru MOs, British MO round 1, etc.

For INMO, I am not at the level to suggest people. I think Evan's Website is the best.

9. Should I refer to some YT channels?

Ans: Yes. Sure! I don't watch YT or very rarely, so maybe ask someone else.

10. Should I make notes?

Ans: I make. But I am very careless, so I always misplace my notes or delete the pdf.  

11. Sometimes I don't feel like studying, what should I do?

Ans: Take a break and have a Kit-Kat. (Sorry lame tha)

Just take a break, your brain is saying you to take a break, that's it.

12. Are teachers helpful?

Ans: Generally your parents and coaching teachers help but tbh it's your own hard work. My Father helped me till class 8. But it's mostly self-study. If you get doubts, post them on AoPS or Math Stack Exchange.



 

Anyways, I hope this blog post would help you in some way. I hope you share this post to all the beginners. I think this post will benefit them a lot!


Image credit: Pinterest

Have a nice day

Sunaina💜

Comments

  1. Yay , a cute post 😁😁
    Hope it helps people !! Personally liked it 😉

    Also aww the last pic is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, congrats for 5k+ views 🥳🥳🎉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for 5k views !
    I hope I get ok (I am Ill. Mentally.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link I provided for RG's handout is actually his blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yayy thank you so much !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait why are there 2021 comments ? also thanks for the post it was very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your list matches so much with what I would recommend someone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I am from a competitive region like NWS 2 month preparation will be enough or I should just aim to get a merit cert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aim for the best and give your best! Just dont underestimate yourself and have confidence! You can do it!

      Delete
  9. Nicee!! Very detailed, I wish I had seen this b4 I started my MO prep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo! It's fine, you still ended up with IPHO and IOAA gold sir!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My experiences at EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience

Yes, I know. This post should have been posted like 2 months ago. Okay okay, sorry. But yeah, I was just waiting for everything to be over and I was lazy. ( sorry ) You know, the transitioning period from high school to college is very weird. I will join CMI( Chennai Mathematical  Institue) for bsc maths and cs degree. And I am very scared. Like very very scared. No, not about making new friends and all. I don't care about that part because I know a decent amount of CMI people already.  What I am scared of is whether I will be able to handle the coursework and get good grades T_T Anyways, here's my EGMO PDC, EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience. Yes, a lot of stuff. My EGMO experience is a lot and I wrote a lot of details, IMOTC and PROMYS is just a few paras. Oh to those, who don't know me or are reading for the first time. I am Sunaina Pati. I was IND2 at EGMO 2023 which was held in Slovenia. I was also invited to the IMOTC or International Mathematical Olympiad Training Cam

Introduction

  Hey Everyone!! This is my first Blog post. So let me give a brief introduction about myself. I am Sunaina Pati. I love solving Olympiad math problems,  learning crazy astronomical facts , playing hanabi and anti-chess, listening to Kpop , love making diagrams in Geogebra and  teaching other people maths 😊 . I love geometry , number theory and Combinatorics . I am starting this blog to keep myself a bit motivated in doing studies 😎 . Right now, I am planning to write walkthroughs on some of the best problems I tried over the week which can refer for hints 'cause solutions contain some major spoilers and one learns a lot while solving the problem on his own rather than seeing solutions . Also, there will be some reviews about Kpop songs, study techniques, my day to day lifestyles,exam reviews and ofc some non-sense surprises 😂.  I am planning to  try  posting every week on Sundays or Saturdays ( most probably) ! Though there is no guarantee about when I will post , so if you are

INMO Scores and Results

Heya! INMO Results are out! Well, I am now a 3 times IMOTCer :D. Very excited to meet every one of you! My INMO score was exactly 26 with a distribution of 17|0|0|0|0|9, which was a fair grading cause after problem 1, I tried problem 6 next. I was hoping for some partials in problem 4 but didn't get any.  I am so so so excited to meet everyone! Can't believe my olympiad journey is going to end soon..  I thought to continue the improvement table I made last year! ( I would still have to add my EGMO performance and also IMO TST performance too) 2018-2019[ grade 8]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State rank 4], Wrote INMO 2019-2020[ grade 9]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State topper], Wrote INMO ( but flopped it) 2020-2021[grade 10]:  Cleared IOQM, Cleared INMO [ Through Girl's Quota] 2021-2022[grade 11]:  Wrote EGMO 2022 TST[ Rank 8], Qualified for IOQM part B directly, Cleared IOQM-B ( i.e INMO) [Through general quota],  2022-2023 [grade 12]:  Wrote EGMO 2023 TST [ Rank 2], Mad

Reflecting on past

INMO Scores are out!! I am now a two times INMO awardee :) I got 16|0|1, so 17 in total! Yes, 16 in P1 T_T. I was thinking I would lose marks because of the way I wrote.  Lemme tell ya'll what happened that day but first I should share a few thoughts I had before the exam. My thoughts Honestly, my preparation for INMO was bad. In fact, I should say I didn't work hard at all. As I have said earlier, I had lost all my hopes for INMO and Olympiads as a whole after EGMO TSTs happened.  Art by Jelena Janic EGMO TSTs i.e European Girl's Mathematical Olympiad Team selection Tests 2022.  Literally my thoughts after EGMO TSTs I feel very ashamed to share but I got 1 mark in my EGMO TSTs. Tests in which I literally gave my whole life. I did so many ISLs ( like SO MANY), I mocked EGMO 2021 TST where my score was 28/42 and I perfected Day 2. 1 mark in the TST just showed my true potential. There are way better people than me in olys. A friend even said to me, "If I wouldn't

Bio is Love..

Adios, everyone! Boards preparation at its peak :(  However, I am not able to study how I used to. Every time I try to study for boards, I just keep thinking much about a topic, stare at the book, jam a song or just start doing procrastination by bookmarking random cute problems in HSO. It's been more than a year I have studied like with a focus on a book. My lappy is being a big distraction tbh. So after INMO score come out, I will just give my lappy for repair and say papa to bring it back home after June 2.  Milk and Mocha I literally am taking 2 days to complete 1 bio chapter, some times even 3. The rate of my "slowness" is probably because I am like every 15 minutes checking discord to see if the INMO scores are out or not. So HBCSE, thank you for keeping me anxious.  Funfact:- we must be grateful that there is an organisation that is conducting these national Olys. There are some countries where no Olys are being conducted. ( Same dialogue which mumma uses, but in p

Geometry ( Finally!!!)

 This is just such an unfair blog.  Like if one goes through this blog, one can notice how dominated  Algebra is!! Like 6 out of 9 blog post is Algebra dominated -_- Where as I am not a fan of Algebra, compared to other genres of Olympiad Math(as of now). And this was just injustice for Synthetic Geo. So this time , go geo!!!!!!!!!!!  These problems are randomly from A Beautiful Journey through Olympiad Geometry.  Also perhaps I will post geo after March, because I am studying combi.  Problem:  Let $ABC$ be an acute triangle where $\angle BAC = 60^{\circ}$. Prove that if the Euler’s line of $\triangle ABC$ intersects $AB$ and $AC$ at $D$ and $E$, respectively, then $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral. Solution:  Since $\angle A=60^{\circ}$ , we get $AH=2R\cos A=R=AO$. So $\angle EHA=\angle DOA.$ Also it's well known that $H$ and $O $ isogonal conjugates.$\angle OAD =\angle EAH.$ By $ASA$ congruence, we get $AE=AD.$ Hence $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral. Problem:  A convex quadrilateral $

Solving Random ISLs And Sharygin Solutions! And INMO happened!!

Some of the ISLs I did before INMO :P  [2005 G3]:  Let $ABCD$ be a parallelogram. A variable line $g$ through the vertex $A$ intersects the rays $BC$ and $DC$ at the points $X$ and $Y$, respectively. Let $K$ and $L$ be the $A$-excenters of the triangles $ABX$ and $ADY$. Show that the angle $\measuredangle KCL$ is independent of the line $g$ Solution: Note that $$\Delta LDK \sim \Delta XBK$$ and $$\Delta ADY\sim \Delta XCY.$$ So we have $$\frac{BK}{DY}=\frac{XK}{LY}$$ and $$\frac{DY}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}=\frac{AY}{XY}.$$ Hence $$\frac{BK}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}\implies \frac{BK}{BC}=\frac{CY}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}=\frac{AB}{BC}\times \frac{XK}{LY} $$ $$\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{XK}{BK}=\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{LY}{DY}=\frac{AB}{DL}$$ $$\implies \Delta CBK\sim \Delta LDK$$ And we are done. We get that $$\angle KCL=360-(\angle ACB+\angle DKC+\angle BCK)=\angle DAB/2 +180-\angle DAB=180-\angle DAB/2$$ Motivation: I took a hint on this. I had other angles but I didn't r

IMO 2023 P2

IMO 2023 P2 Well, IMO 2023 Day 1 problems are out and I thought of trying the geometry problem which was P2.  Problem: Let $ABC$ be an acute-angled triangle with $AB < AC$. Let $\Omega$ be the circumcircle of $ABC$. Let $S$ be the midpoint of the arc $CB$ of $\Omega$ containing $A$. The perpendicular from $A$ to $BC$ meets $BS$ at $D$ and meets $\Omega$ again at $E \neq A$. The line through $D$ parallel to $BC$ meets line $BE$ at $L$. Denote the circumcircle of triangle $BDL$ by $\omega$. Let $\omega$ meet $\Omega$ again at $P \neq B$. Prove that the line tangent to $\omega$ at $P$ meets line $BS$ on the internal angle bisector of $\angle BAC$. Well, here's my proof, but I would rather call this my rough work tbh. There are comments in the end! Proof Define $A'$ as the antipode of $A$. And redefine $P=A'D\cap (ABC)$. Define $L=SP\cap (PDB)$.  Claim1: $L-B-E$ collinear Proof: Note that $$\angle SCA=\angle SCB-\angle ACB=90-A/2-C.$$ So $$\angle SPA=90-A/2-C\implies \ang

Just spam combo problems cause why not

This post is mainly for Rohan Bhaiya. He gave me/EGMO contestants a lot and lots of problems. Here are solutions to a very few of them.  To Rohan Bhaiya: I just wrote the sketch/proofs here cause why not :P. I did a few more extra problems so yeah.  I sort of sorted the problems into different sub-areas, but it's just better to try all of them! I did try some more combo problems outside this but I tried them in my tablet and worked there itself. So latexing was tough. Algorithms  "Just find the algorithm" they said and they died.  References:  Algorithms Pset by Abhay Bestrapalli Algorithms by Cody Johnson Problem1: Suppose the positive integer $n$ is odd. First Al writes the numbers $1, 2,\dots, 2n$ on the blackboard. Then he picks any two numbers $a, b$ erases them, and writes, instead, $|a - b|$. Prove that an odd number will remain at the end.  Proof: Well, we go $\mod 2$. Note that $$|a-b|\equiv a+b\mod 2\implies \text{ the final number is }1+2+\dots 2n\equiv n(2n+1