Skip to main content

Big 'O' notation

Yeyy finally! I got time! I am so happy that I am finally going to read the analytic theory! However, I have added some CS stuff. Not sure if they are accurate. I have taken up CS in school so hopefully, it's correct! 


Big $O$ notation: 

We say $f(x)=O(g(x))$ if there exists $c$ such that $|f(x)|< c(g(x)$ for all $x\ge x_0$.

Arithmetic of Big $O$ notation:

  • $O(f(x))+O(g(x))= O(f(x)+g(x))$. Moreover, if $f(x)=O(g(x))\implies O(f(x)+g(x))=O(g(x)) $

  • $O(f(x))\times O(g(x))= O(f(x)\cdot g(x))$

  • $O(f(x)) - O(g(x))= O(f(x) +g(x))$ ( Yes, it is "+")

  • $O(\int f(x) dx)=\int O(f(x) dx$


I want to dive into the CS part; it looks pretty nice and attractive :p.


Introduction


In CS, it is important to measure the efficiency of the algorithm before applying it on a big size of data. The "performance" depends on internal and external factors. Internal factors ( which we care more) specify the algorithm's efficiency in terms of: Time required to run and Space required to run.
External is like Size of the input, quality of compiler etc.

The motivation to study time complexity is to compare algorithms and use the one that is the most efficient in a particular situation. 

The big $O$ notation ( wrt CS)


The big $O$ notation is used to depict an algorithm's growth rate. The growth rate determines the algorithm's performance when its input size grows. Through big-$O$, the upper bound of an algorithm's performance is specified i.e if we say an algorithm takes $O(n^2)$ times; this means that this algorithm will take at most $N^2$ steps for size $N$.

The big-$O$ notation is very useful for comparing performance of two or more algorithms. For example, the algorithm with time complexity $O(n^2)$ performs better than the algorithm with time complexity $O(2^n)$.
 
n=int(input("Enter the value of n:"))

i=1
sum=0
while i<=n:
    sum += i**2
    i+= 1

print("sum=", sum)

The complexity of the above code is $O(n)$. Each step except "while i<=n:"  take $O(1)$ time. But "while i<=n:" takes $O(n)$ time. Summing we get $O(n)$  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for RMO?

"Let's wait for this exam to get over".. *Proceeds to wait for 2 whole fricking years!  I always wanted to write a book recommendation list, because I have been asked so many times! But then I was always like "Let's wait for this exam to get over" and so on. Why? You see it's pretty embarrassing to write a "How to prepare for RMO/INMO" post and then proceed to "fail" i.e not qualifying.  Okay okay, you might be thinking, "Sunaina you qualified like in 10th grade itself, you will obviously qualify in 11th and 12th grade." No. It's not that easy. Plus you are talking to a very underconfident girl. I have always underestimated myself. And I think that's the worst thing one can do itself. Am I confident about myself now? Definitely not but I am learning not to self-depreciate myself little by little. Okay, I shall write more about it in the next post describing my experience in 3 different camps and 1 program.  So, I got...

My experiences at EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience

Yes, I know. This post should have been posted like 2 months ago. Okay okay, sorry. But yeah, I was just waiting for everything to be over and I was lazy. ( sorry ) You know, the transitioning period from high school to college is very weird. I will join CMI( Chennai Mathematical  Institue) for bsc maths and cs degree. And I am very scared. Like very very scared. No, not about making new friends and all. I don't care about that part because I know a decent amount of CMI people already.  What I am scared of is whether I will be able to handle the coursework and get good grades T_T Anyways, here's my EGMO PDC, EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience. Yes, a lot of stuff. My EGMO experience is a lot and I wrote a lot of details, IMOTC and PROMYS is just a few paras. Oh to those, who don't know me or are reading for the first time. I am Sunaina Pati. I was IND2 at EGMO 2023 which was held in Slovenia. I was also invited to the IMOTC or International Mathematical Olympiad Training Cam...

How to prepare for INMO

Since INMO is coming up, it would be nice to write a post about it! A lot of people have been asking me for tips. To people who are visiting this site for the first time, hi! I am Sunaina Pati, an undergrad student at Chennai Mathematical Institute. I was an INMO awardee in 2021,2022,2023. I am also very grateful to be part of the India EGMO 2023 delegation. Thanks to them I got a silver medal!  I think the title of the post might be clickbait for some. What I want to convey is how I would have prepared for INMO if I were to give it again. Anyway, so here are a few tips for people! Practice, practice, practice!! I can not emphasize how important this is. This is the only way you can realise which areas ( that is combinatorics, geometry, number theory, algebra) are your strength and where you need to work on. Try the problems as much as you want, and make sure you use all the ideas you can possibly think of before looking at a hint. So rather than fixing time as a measure to dec...

Orders and Primitive roots

 Theory  We know what Fermat's little theorem states. If $p$ is a prime number, then for any integer $a$, the number $a^p − a$ is an integer multiple of $p$. In the notation of modular arithmetic, this is expressed as \[a^{p}\equiv a{\pmod {p}}.\] So, essentially, for every $(a,m)=1$, ${a}^{\phi (m)}\equiv 1 \pmod {m}$. But $\phi (m)$ isn't necessarily the smallest exponent. For example, we know $4^{12}\equiv 1\mod 13$ but so is $4^6$. So, we care about the "smallest" exponent $d$ such that $a^d\equiv 1\mod m$ given $(a,m)=1$.  Orders Given a prime $p$, the order of an integer $a$ modulo $p$, $p\nmid a$, is the smallest positive integer $d$, such that $a^d \equiv 1 \pmod p$. This is denoted $\text{ord}_p(a) = d$. If $p$ is a primes and $p\nmid a$, let $d$ be order of $a$ mod $p$. Then $a^n\equiv 1\pmod p\implies d|n$. Let $n=pd+r, r\ll d$. Which implies $a^r\equiv 1\pmod p.$ But $d$ is the smallest natural number. So $r=0$. So $d|n$. Show that $n$ divid...

INMO Scores and Results

Heya! INMO Results are out! Well, I am now a 3 times IMOTCer :D. Very excited to meet every one of you! My INMO score was exactly 26 with a distribution of 17|0|0|0|0|9, which was a fair grading cause after problem 1, I tried problem 6 next. I was hoping for some partials in problem 4 but didn't get any.  I am so so so excited to meet everyone! Can't believe my olympiad journey is going to end soon..  I thought to continue the improvement table I made last year! ( I would still have to add my EGMO performance and also IMO TST performance too) 2018-2019[ grade 8]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State rank 4], Wrote INMO 2019-2020[ grade 9]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State topper], Wrote INMO ( but flopped it) 2020-2021[grade 10]:  Cleared IOQM, Cleared INMO [ Through Girl's Quota] 2021-2022[grade 11]:  Wrote EGMO 2022 TST[ Rank 8], Qualified for IOQM part B directly, Cleared IOQM-B ( i.e INMO) [Through general quota],  2022-2023 [grade 12]:  Wrote E...

IMO Shortlist 2021 C1

 I am planning to do at least one ISL every day so that I do not lose my Olympiad touch (and also they are fun to think about!). Today, I tried the 2021 IMO shortlist C1.  (2021 ISL C1) Let $S$ be an infinite set of positive integers, such that there exist four pairwise distinct $a,b,c,d \in S$ with $\gcd(a,b) \neq \gcd(c,d)$. Prove that there exist three pairwise distinct $x,y,z \in S$ such that $\gcd(x,y)=\gcd(y,z) \neq \gcd(z,x)$. Suppose not. Then any $3$ elements $x,y,z\in S$ will be $(x,y)=(y,z)=(x,z)$ or $(x,y)\ne (y,z)\ne (x,z)$. There exists an infinite set $T$ such that $\forall x,y\in T,(x,y)=d,$ where $d$ is constant. Fix a random element $a$. Note that $(x,a)|a$. So $(x,a)\le a$.Since there are infinite elements and finite many possibilities for the gcd (atmost $a$). So $\exists$ set $T$ which is infinite such that $\forall b_1,b_2\in T$ $$(a,b_1)=(a,b_2)=d.$$ Note that if $(b_1,b_2)\ne d$ then we get a contradiction as we get a set satisfying the proble...

Geometry ( Finally!!!)

 This is just such an unfair blog.  Like if one goes through this blog, one can notice how dominated  Algebra is!! Like 6 out of 9 blog post is Algebra dominated -_- Where as I am not a fan of Algebra, compared to other genres of Olympiad Math(as of now). And this was just injustice for Synthetic Geo. So this time , go geo!!!!!!!!!!!  These problems are randomly from A Beautiful Journey through Olympiad Geometry.  Also perhaps I will post geo after March, because I am studying combi.  Problem:  Let $ABC$ be an acute triangle where $\angle BAC = 60^{\circ}$. Prove that if the Euler’s line of $\triangle ABC$ intersects $AB$ and $AC$ at $D$ and $E$, respectively, then $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral. Solution:  Since $\angle A=60^{\circ}$ , we get $AH=2R\cos A=R=AO$. So $\angle EHA=\angle DOA.$ Also it's well known that $H$ and $O $ isogonal conjugates.$\angle OAD =\angle EAH.$ By $ASA$ congruence, we get $AE=AD.$ Hence $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral....

Birthday Functional Equations problems

Heyoo!!! Birthday FEs!!!!!! $11$ FEs!! Also I would be posting solutions to RG's FE handout, I am done with 10 prs :P!! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$2f (x) - 5f (y) = 8, \forall x, y \in \Bbb R$$ Solution: $$2f(x)-5f(y)=8$$ $$\implies 2f(x)-5f(x)=8$$ $$\implies f(x)=\frac{-8}{3}, \text{ a constant function }$$ We did this in Rohan Bhaiya's FE class..Oh btw the EGMO camp is sooo niceee! I am loving it!! It's such a big deal to be able to train and attend the camp with EGMO team members! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$f (x) + xf (1 -x) = x, \forall x\in \Bbb R.$$ Solution: $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$f(1-x)+(1-x)f(x)=1-x$$ This is actually in the linear equations in two variable form! $$x+ay=a$$ $$y+bx=b$$ Anyways,  $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$xf(1-x)+f(x)(1-x)x=(1-x)x$$ $$ \implies f(x)(x-x^2)-f(x)=-x^2\implies f(x)=\frac{-x^2}{x-x^2-1}=\frac{x^2}{x^2-x+1}$$ But verifying, this doesn't work. Problem: ...

Introduction

  Hey Everyone!! This is my first Blog post. So let me give a brief introduction about myself. I am Sunaina Pati. I love solving Olympiad math problems,  learning crazy astronomical facts , playing hanabi and anti-chess, listening to Kpop , love making diagrams in Geogebra and  teaching other people maths 😊 . I love geometry , number theory and Combinatorics . I am starting this blog to keep myself a bit motivated in doing studies 😎 . Right now, I am planning to write walkthroughs on some of the best problems I tried over the week which can refer for hints 'cause solutions contain some major spoilers and one learns a lot while solving the problem on his own rather than seeing solutions . Also, there will be some reviews about Kpop songs, study techniques, my day to day lifestyles,exam reviews and ofc some non-sense surprises 😂.  I am planning to  try  posting every week on Sundays or Saturdays ( most probably) ! Though there is no guarantee about when I ...

Problems with meeting people!

Yeah, I did some problems and here are a few of them! I hope you guys try them! Putnam, 2018 B3 Find all positive integers $n < 10^{100}$ for which simultaneously $n$ divides $2^n$, $n-1$ divides $2^n - 1$, and $n-2$ divides $2^n - 2$. Proof We have $$n|2^n\implies n=2^a\implies 2^a-1|2^n-1\implies a|n\implies a=2^b$$ $$\implies 2^{2^b}-2|2^{2^a}-2\implies 2^b-1|2^a-1\implies b|a\implies b=2^c.$$ Then simply bounding. USAMO 1987 Determine all solutions in non-zero integers $a$ and $b$ of the equation $$(a^2+b)(a+b^2) = (a-b)^3.$$ Proof We get $$ 2b^2+(a^2-3a)b+(a+3a^2)=0\implies b = \frac{3a-a^2\pm\sqrt{a^4-6a^3-15a^2-8a}}{4}$$ $$\implies a^4-6a^3-15a^2-8a=a(a-8)(a+1)^2\text{ a perfect square}$$ $$\implies a(a-8)=k^2\implies a^2-8a-k^2=0\implies \implies a=\frac{8\pm\sqrt{64+4k^2}}{2}=4\pm\sqrt{16+k^2}. $$ $$ 16+k^2=m^2\implies (m-k)(m+k)=16.$$ Now just bash. USAMO 1988 Suppose that the set $\{1,2,\cdots, 1998\}$ has been partitioned into disjoint pairs $\{a_i,b_i\}$ ($1...