Skip to main content

New year with a new beginning! And a recap of 2024..and all the best for INMO 2025!

Hi everyone! Happy New Year :) 
Thank you so much for 95k+ views!!!

How was everyone's 2024? What are everyone's resolutions? ( Do write down in the comment section! And you can come back 1 year later to see if you made them possible!).

A Better Mathematician 

Well, technically a theoretical computer scientist. 

I am so grateful to be allowed to study at CMI where I can interact with so many brilliant professors, access the beautiful library and obviously discuss mathematics ( sometimes non math too ) with the students. 
 
And this year, I want to learn more mathematics and clear my fundamentals. I have become much worse in math actually. And hopefully, read some research papers too :) 

And discuss a lot of mathematics with other people. 

However, with that whole depressing 2024 year, I have lost a lot of my confidence in mathematics. And to be a better mathematician, I should gain the confidence that I can be a mathematician. And well, I am working on that. I absolutely love this subject ( hence the domain of the blog) and I do not think this love will ever go away. 

This year, I want to learn more about number theory and its computational aspects. I will be posting whatever I will be learning in my undergraduate blog. 


A Better Explainer

In 2024 and the beginning of 2025, I had so many great opportunities to teach talented kids! I feel I could have done a much better job at explaining but I think that is something one learns from experiences only. 

  • Promys India 2024:  I was grateful to be part of the Counselor ( teaching assistant) at PROMYS India 2024. I got to do number theory again and this time, shared my experience and intuition with a lot of other students! I would love to come back, teach a lot more and share my knowledge again!! And of course, IISC is a very place. The students were really curious about everything. It was a fun time there. 

  • EGMOTC 2023,2024: I was extremely grateful to be part of the European girls' mathematical olympiad training camp. I got to meet the best female mathletes from this country.  

  • Algebra-1 Teaching Assistantship: my first teaching assistantship. I was so happy to TA linear algebra. I studied lie algebra under Professor Khare. That helped me develop a better understanding and familiarity with Linear algebra. Very grateful that Professor Karnataki could trust me for this position. I ended up taking a few tutorials, grading quizzes and clearing doubts. This also helped me become closer to the first years and have a chance to interact with them!

  • MOTC 2024: I was so grateful to be invited to MOTC 2024 conducted at IIT Guwahati. I got to meet a lot of budding talents from all over the northeast. I wish we could have something like this every year! A great initiative.


  • Assam INMOTC 2025: I was so grateful to be invited to INMOTC 2024, which was conducted at USTM Meghalaya. I got to meet a lot of students, and they were all so interactive. It was very fun to be part of the camp. All the best to the INMO awardees.


  • Tamil Nadu INMOTC 2025: I was so grateful to be invited to Tamil Nadu's INMOTC 2024. I took a class with my senior and friend Ananya Ranade. I enjoyed taking the class with her! A new experience. 

Surprisingly, a lot of people knew me from before because of my blog! I am so grateful that you all decided to spend a few minutes of your life reading this blog. I hope it helps you all in some way or the other. 

Moreover, from all these experiences, I learnt a few things:
  • Whenever I am taking a class, I should not just do  "Problem", "proof" "problem", and "proof" but rather motivate the intuition behind them and how to think about the problems.  

  • In a class, I should focus on the students who do not interact more because they usually get left behind and are not that comfortable asking questions. 

  • Should be well prepared with the material

  • But it is okay if I get stuck in the proof or realise I was wrong while teaching. After all, I am a human too. 

  • Prepare problem sets from before and give them sets at least a day prior so that the students can get sufficient time to solve them. 

And I will continue learning more... 


It is pretty happy how this blog is now  4 + years old. You all have watched me from becoming an INMO awardee to EGMO medalist to graduating high school to starting my college and now, I have completed half of my degree already.. Time spends by pretty quickly.. 


A few pictures which contain memories!  


Pankaj Sir clicked this photograph. My last class at MOTC 2024. 



Professor Saikia clicked this photograph. 


Chennai INMOTC 2024




I received an honorarium from the Director of IIT Guwahati!


Pretty diagrams. Who would not be proud.


Assam INMOTC. Thank you so much to Dr. Prabin Das for inviting me.


Haha, I was teaching Power of Point there....

Shout out to my Secret Santa for giving such a cute gift :) 



Hope you all enjoyed reading this post :)

Sincerely
Sunaina Pati

Comments

  1. You are courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its amazing that you realised how you were treating others and are taking steps to become a better person. Many people won't even care about that. The hardest part is admitting that you are wrong, and I hope you fulfill your resolution.

    And as a person who had a depressing year too, Im really happy you got help.

    anyways hope you have an amaaaazzziinggg year.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently started reading your blogs. It is really nice to see your passion for math. Good luck for this year, keep moving forward and keep thinking absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a part of the MOTC haha. I really loved your classes. They were super fun. When we were given the feedback form to write the best part of the camp i wrote your classes lol. It's been years(3-4 to be exact) since i have done any proper mathmatics specially geometry. Idl how i ended up here lmaoo. But I'm really glad I did. After that I have been doing a bunch of geometry problems. All thanks to you. I thought I would personally thank you but the director and all started talking with you and I got scared. Well consider this my thank you letter (⁠ʘ⁠á´—⁠ʘ⁠✿⁠)

    ReplyDelete
  5. its great that you realised your negligence, but be sure to not ponder on the mistakes of the past for too long and feel guilty or shameful, both are powerful and corroding emotions that will prevent from utilising the current time. also, give other people some time to come around and see that you have changed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for RMO?

"Let's wait for this exam to get over".. *Proceeds to wait for 2 whole fricking years!  I always wanted to write a book recommendation list, because I have been asked so many times! But then I was always like "Let's wait for this exam to get over" and so on. Why? You see it's pretty embarrassing to write a "How to prepare for RMO/INMO" post and then proceed to "fail" i.e not qualifying.  Okay okay, you might be thinking, "Sunaina you qualified like in 10th grade itself, you will obviously qualify in 11th and 12th grade." No. It's not that easy. Plus you are talking to a very underconfident girl. I have always underestimated myself. And I think that's the worst thing one can do itself. Am I confident about myself now? Definitely not but I am learning not to self-depreciate myself little by little. Okay, I shall write more about it in the next post describing my experience in 3 different camps and 1 program.  So, I got...

My experiences at EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience

Yes, I know. This post should have been posted like 2 months ago. Okay okay, sorry. But yeah, I was just waiting for everything to be over and I was lazy. ( sorry ) You know, the transitioning period from high school to college is very weird. I will join CMI( Chennai Mathematical  Institue) for bsc maths and cs degree. And I am very scared. Like very very scared. No, not about making new friends and all. I don't care about that part because I know a decent amount of CMI people already.  What I am scared of is whether I will be able to handle the coursework and get good grades T_T Anyways, here's my EGMO PDC, EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience. Yes, a lot of stuff. My EGMO experience is a lot and I wrote a lot of details, IMOTC and PROMYS is just a few paras. Oh to those, who don't know me or are reading for the first time. I am Sunaina Pati. I was IND2 at EGMO 2023 which was held in Slovenia. I was also invited to the IMOTC or International Mathematical Olympiad Training Cam...

How to prepare for INMO

Since INMO is coming up, it would be nice to write a post about it! A lot of people have been asking me for tips. To people who are visiting this site for the first time, hi! I am Sunaina Pati, an undergrad student at Chennai Mathematical Institute. I was an INMO awardee in 2021,2022,2023. I am also very grateful to be part of the India EGMO 2023 delegation. Thanks to them I got a silver medal!  I think the title of the post might be clickbait for some. What I want to convey is how I would have prepared for INMO if I were to give it again. Anyway, so here are a few tips for people! Practice, practice, practice!! I can not emphasize how important this is. This is the only way you can realise which areas ( that is combinatorics, geometry, number theory, algebra) are your strength and where you need to work on. Try the problems as much as you want, and make sure you use all the ideas you can possibly think of before looking at a hint. So rather than fixing time as a measure to dec...

Orders and Primitive roots

 Theory  We know what Fermat's little theorem states. If $p$ is a prime number, then for any integer $a$, the number $a^p − a$ is an integer multiple of $p$. In the notation of modular arithmetic, this is expressed as \[a^{p}\equiv a{\pmod {p}}.\] So, essentially, for every $(a,m)=1$, ${a}^{\phi (m)}\equiv 1 \pmod {m}$. But $\phi (m)$ isn't necessarily the smallest exponent. For example, we know $4^{12}\equiv 1\mod 13$ but so is $4^6$. So, we care about the "smallest" exponent $d$ such that $a^d\equiv 1\mod m$ given $(a,m)=1$.  Orders Given a prime $p$, the order of an integer $a$ modulo $p$, $p\nmid a$, is the smallest positive integer $d$, such that $a^d \equiv 1 \pmod p$. This is denoted $\text{ord}_p(a) = d$. If $p$ is a primes and $p\nmid a$, let $d$ be order of $a$ mod $p$. Then $a^n\equiv 1\pmod p\implies d|n$. Let $n=pd+r, r\ll d$. Which implies $a^r\equiv 1\pmod p.$ But $d$ is the smallest natural number. So $r=0$. So $d|n$. Show that $n$ divid...

Geometry ( Finally!!!)

 This is just such an unfair blog.  Like if one goes through this blog, one can notice how dominated  Algebra is!! Like 6 out of 9 blog post is Algebra dominated -_- Where as I am not a fan of Algebra, compared to other genres of Olympiad Math(as of now). And this was just injustice for Synthetic Geo. So this time , go geo!!!!!!!!!!!  These problems are randomly from A Beautiful Journey through Olympiad Geometry.  Also perhaps I will post geo after March, because I am studying combi.  Problem:  Let $ABC$ be an acute triangle where $\angle BAC = 60^{\circ}$. Prove that if the Euler’s line of $\triangle ABC$ intersects $AB$ and $AC$ at $D$ and $E$, respectively, then $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral. Solution:  Since $\angle A=60^{\circ}$ , we get $AH=2R\cos A=R=AO$. So $\angle EHA=\angle DOA.$ Also it's well known that $H$ and $O $ isogonal conjugates.$\angle OAD =\angle EAH.$ By $ASA$ congruence, we get $AE=AD.$ Hence $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral....

Solving Random ISLs And Sharygin Solutions! And INMO happened!!

Some of the ISLs I did before INMO :P  [2005 G3]:  Let $ABCD$ be a parallelogram. A variable line $g$ through the vertex $A$ intersects the rays $BC$ and $DC$ at the points $X$ and $Y$, respectively. Let $K$ and $L$ be the $A$-excenters of the triangles $ABX$ and $ADY$. Show that the angle $\measuredangle KCL$ is independent of the line $g$ Solution: Note that $$\Delta LDK \sim \Delta XBK$$ and $$\Delta ADY\sim \Delta XCY.$$ So we have $$\frac{BK}{DY}=\frac{XK}{LY}$$ and $$\frac{DY}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}=\frac{AY}{XY}.$$ Hence $$\frac{BK}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}\implies \frac{BK}{BC}=\frac{CY}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}=\frac{AB}{BC}\times \frac{XK}{LY} $$ $$\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{XK}{BK}=\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{LY}{DY}=\frac{AB}{DL}$$ $$\implies \Delta CBK\sim \Delta LDK$$ And we are done. We get that $$\angle KCL=360-(\angle ACB+\angle DKC+\angle BCK)=\angle DAB/2 +180-\angle DAB=180-\angle DAB/2$$ Motivation: I took a hint on this. I had other angles but I did...

Birthday Functional Equations problems

Heyoo!!! Birthday FEs!!!!!! $11$ FEs!! Also I would be posting solutions to RG's FE handout, I am done with 10 prs :P!! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$2f (x) - 5f (y) = 8, \forall x, y \in \Bbb R$$ Solution: $$2f(x)-5f(y)=8$$ $$\implies 2f(x)-5f(x)=8$$ $$\implies f(x)=\frac{-8}{3}, \text{ a constant function }$$ We did this in Rohan Bhaiya's FE class..Oh btw the EGMO camp is sooo niceee! I am loving it!! It's such a big deal to be able to train and attend the camp with EGMO team members! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$f (x) + xf (1 -x) = x, \forall x\in \Bbb R.$$ Solution: $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$f(1-x)+(1-x)f(x)=1-x$$ This is actually in the linear equations in two variable form! $$x+ay=a$$ $$y+bx=b$$ Anyways,  $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$xf(1-x)+f(x)(1-x)x=(1-x)x$$ $$ \implies f(x)(x-x^2)-f(x)=-x^2\implies f(x)=\frac{-x^2}{x-x^2-1}=\frac{x^2}{x^2-x+1}$$ But verifying, this doesn't work. Problem: ...

Introduction

  Hey Everyone!! This is my first Blog post. So let me give a brief introduction about myself. I am Sunaina Pati. I love solving Olympiad math problems,  learning crazy astronomical facts , playing hanabi and anti-chess, listening to Kpop , love making diagrams in Geogebra and  teaching other people maths 😊 . I love geometry , number theory and Combinatorics . I am starting this blog to keep myself a bit motivated in doing studies 😎 . Right now, I am planning to write walkthroughs on some of the best problems I tried over the week which can refer for hints 'cause solutions contain some major spoilers and one learns a lot while solving the problem on his own rather than seeing solutions . Also, there will be some reviews about Kpop songs, study techniques, my day to day lifestyles,exam reviews and ofc some non-sense surprises 😂.  I am planning to  try  posting every week on Sundays or Saturdays ( most probably) ! Though there is no guarantee about when I ...

IMO Shortlist 2021 C1

 I am planning to do at least one ISL every day so that I do not lose my Olympiad touch (and also they are fun to think about!). Today, I tried the 2021 IMO shortlist C1.  (2021 ISL C1) Let $S$ be an infinite set of positive integers, such that there exist four pairwise distinct $a,b,c,d \in S$ with $\gcd(a,b) \neq \gcd(c,d)$. Prove that there exist three pairwise distinct $x,y,z \in S$ such that $\gcd(x,y)=\gcd(y,z) \neq \gcd(z,x)$. Suppose not. Then any $3$ elements $x,y,z\in S$ will be $(x,y)=(y,z)=(x,z)$ or $(x,y)\ne (y,z)\ne (x,z)$. There exists an infinite set $T$ such that $\forall x,y\in T,(x,y)=d,$ where $d$ is constant. Fix a random element $a$. Note that $(x,a)|a$. So $(x,a)\le a$.Since there are infinite elements and finite many possibilities for the gcd (atmost $a$). So $\exists$ set $T$ which is infinite such that $\forall b_1,b_2\in T$ $$(a,b_1)=(a,b_2)=d.$$ Note that if $(b_1,b_2)\ne d$ then we get a contradiction as we get a set satisfying the proble...

INMO Scores and Results

Heya! INMO Results are out! Well, I am now a 3 times IMOTCer :D. Very excited to meet every one of you! My INMO score was exactly 26 with a distribution of 17|0|0|0|0|9, which was a fair grading cause after problem 1, I tried problem 6 next. I was hoping for some partials in problem 4 but didn't get any.  I am so so so excited to meet everyone! Can't believe my olympiad journey is going to end soon..  I thought to continue the improvement table I made last year! ( I would still have to add my EGMO performance and also IMO TST performance too) 2018-2019[ grade 8]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State rank 4], Wrote INMO 2019-2020[ grade 9]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State topper], Wrote INMO ( but flopped it) 2020-2021[grade 10]:  Cleared IOQM, Cleared INMO [ Through Girl's Quota] 2021-2022[grade 11]:  Wrote EGMO 2022 TST[ Rank 8], Qualified for IOQM part B directly, Cleared IOQM-B ( i.e INMO) [Through general quota],  2022-2023 [grade 12]:  Wrote E...