Skip to main content

Some NMTC sub-junior level Problems

Well.. Many people don't know but I was a part of STEM's Horizon ( Now, I have left them due to boards etc.) BTW STEM's Horizons is really great! And anyone interested in Olympiad math should join it! More info about it in below (make sure to check it out!).

So here are some problems I sent to them. They are fairly easy, and most of them are repetitive ideas. But they are my first sets of problems ( I know UMO was there but still..) The solutions will be posted in another blog posts. You guys can type out sols in the comments sections too :)

Problems:-

1. What is maximum possible number dividing  $x^2+x+1$ and $x^5 +x^4 +x^3 + 3x^2 +2 x +4$ for all $x\in \Bbb{N}$


2. Let $P$ be the sum of all $x$ and $y$ satisfying $45^x-2^x=2021^y.$ What is the last two digits of $p^2+p+1.$


3. What is the greatest value of $r$ such that $3^r$ is factor of $10^{2022}-8^{674}$.


4. Find all possible tuples $ (x,y,l)$ such that $\frac{x}{100}=\frac{20}{y}=\frac{5}{l}.$


5. Consider the following sequence $D(1),D(2),\dots D(999999998),$ where $D(i)$ is the sum of the digits modulo $9.$ Then what is the sum of all residues which appeared lesser than the other residues in the sequence $D(1),D(2),\dots D(999999998)$?


6.Define $f(k)=f(k-1)+(k-1)^2.$ What is $f(225)'s$ last two digits?


7. Find the sum of all possible Numbers $N$ such that when $N$ taken in base $4$, $N_4=ABC, $ and $\frac{1}{A}+\frac{1}{B}+\frac{1}{C}=\frac{1}{A+B+C}+\frac{1}{8}.$


8. Given a cyclic quad $PQRS $ , with $PQ=27, RS=18.$ Define $A=PQ\cap RS $( such that $ A-R-S$ in this order and $A-P-Q$ in this order , if $AS=36$, then what is$AQ$?


9.Consider a rectangle $3\times 6$ rectangle whose perimeter( boundary ) is covered by $22 (1\times 1)$ squares tiles  , These $22$ squares can be coloured by $4$ colours (Red,Black,Purple,Green), so that the colouring of the  boundary is symmetrical by the perpendicaular bisectors of the sides. In how many ways can you do that ?


10. Given that $9$ is a root of $x^3-21x^2+143x-315$, find the sum of the squares of the other two roots.


11. Given that P(x) is a 4 degree polynomial with $P(0)=1,P(2)=3, P(5)=9,P(10)=0,P(7)=0.$ Find the sum of all positive integer cfs of the polynomial.


12. In a school of $25000$ students, a survey noted that only  30%  were muggles, and then only 25% of the muggles played basketball. How many muggles played basketball?


13. What is the smallest $5$ digit number such that , the number is leaves remainder $1$ when divided by $3$, leaves remainder $ 2$ when divided by $ 5$, leaves remainder $4$ when divided by  $7.$


14. Given there are $10$ distinct socks, and you have $5$ different dyes  such that each dye can colour atmost $2$ socks. In how many can one colour the socks?


15.Milk decided to count the total number of $1$'s written in all the pg no's of the whole book, when she counted she realised there were $15$ $1'$s , and total no of $5'$s were $7.$ What is the last page number of her book?

---

Here's the pdf compilation link NMTC (Google drive link). Anyways, I think from now on the blog will start having less math post for like 2 months, you guys have to bear it with me :(.

--- 

STEM Horizons is a stem community founded by some motivated high schoolers from around the world. Sharing this wonderful initiative with all of you. Anyone can become part of this, it doesn't matter if you're a middle schooler, high schooler, college students, and beyond. We will work to create wonderful opportunity in STEM field. You can join the Discord server from this link https://discord.gg/Az7DsaSyYf . The link to the website is https://stemhorizons.wordpress.com/



---

Sunaina💜

Comments

  1. A question of same standard or probably less:
    Find all positive integer pairs (x,y) satisfying x³-(y!)²=2021

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, cute! We take mod 9. For $y\ge 3$ it's not possible since the $x^3\equiv 5 \mod 9$ but cubes are always $0,1,-1 \mod 9.$ So $y=1,2$ Checking we get that no solutions exist.

      Delete
  2. Q 1 solution:
    Let d be a common divisor of both the polynomials.So d divides $x^5+x^4+x^3+3x^2+2x+4-(x^3+3)(x^2+x+1)=-x+1$.So d divides $x^2+x+1+x(-x+1)=2x+1$.Finally we get d divides $2x+1+2(-x+1)=3$.So maximum possible value is 3 which is certainly obtained when x=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it says for all x, so answer must be 1, right? since for x=3, clearly 3 doesn't divide x^2+x+1. So the answer is 1. I think the statement wasn't clear though, so my bad.

      Delete
    2. Well I misinterpreted as well

      Delete
  3. Wow, these problems were yours? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! Sadly we didn't had a nmtc stage 1 mock :(

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Loll thenku! One simply needs to be an inmo awardee to give it though :|

      Delete
  5. Hello, I just wanted to say that problem 2 can be made more fun; instead of having 2 unknowns to have 3 unknowns like "45^x-2^y=2021^z" where x,y,z are natural (or nonnegative) numbers. Also problem 2 looks very similar to that of N5 from the JBMO 2019 Shortlist...
    Nice problems! I hope that u will post more in the future

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, wanted to say that problem 2 looks like N5 from JBMO 2019 Shortlist

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for RMO?

"Let's wait for this exam to get over".. *Proceeds to wait for 2 whole fricking years!  I always wanted to write a book recommendation list, because I have been asked so many times! But then I was always like "Let's wait for this exam to get over" and so on. Why? You see it's pretty embarrassing to write a "How to prepare for RMO/INMO" post and then proceed to "fail" i.e not qualifying.  Okay okay, you might be thinking, "Sunaina you qualified like in 10th grade itself, you will obviously qualify in 11th and 12th grade." No. It's not that easy. Plus you are talking to a very underconfident girl. I have always underestimated myself. And I think that's the worst thing one can do itself. Am I confident about myself now? Definitely not but I am learning not to self-depreciate myself little by little. Okay, I shall write more about it in the next post describing my experience in 3 different camps and 1 program.  So, I got...

My experiences at EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience

Yes, I know. This post should have been posted like 2 months ago. Okay okay, sorry. But yeah, I was just waiting for everything to be over and I was lazy. ( sorry ) You know, the transitioning period from high school to college is very weird. I will join CMI( Chennai Mathematical  Institue) for bsc maths and cs degree. And I am very scared. Like very very scared. No, not about making new friends and all. I don't care about that part because I know a decent amount of CMI people already.  What I am scared of is whether I will be able to handle the coursework and get good grades T_T Anyways, here's my EGMO PDC, EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience. Yes, a lot of stuff. My EGMO experience is a lot and I wrote a lot of details, IMOTC and PROMYS is just a few paras. Oh to those, who don't know me or are reading for the first time. I am Sunaina Pati. I was IND2 at EGMO 2023 which was held in Slovenia. I was also invited to the IMOTC or International Mathematical Olympiad Training Cam...

How to prepare for INMO

Since INMO is coming up, it would be nice to write a post about it! A lot of people have been asking me for tips. To people who are visiting this site for the first time, hi! I am Sunaina Pati, an undergrad student at Chennai Mathematical Institute. I was an INMO awardee in 2021,2022,2023. I am also very grateful to be part of the India EGMO 2023 delegation. Thanks to them I got a silver medal!  I think the title of the post might be clickbait for some. What I want to convey is how I would have prepared for INMO if I were to give it again. Anyway, so here are a few tips for people! Practice, practice, practice!! I can not emphasize how important this is. This is the only way you can realise which areas ( that is combinatorics, geometry, number theory, algebra) are your strength and where you need to work on. Try the problems as much as you want, and make sure you use all the ideas you can possibly think of before looking at a hint. So rather than fixing time as a measure to dec...

Orders and Primitive roots

 Theory  We know what Fermat's little theorem states. If $p$ is a prime number, then for any integer $a$, the number $a^p − a$ is an integer multiple of $p$. In the notation of modular arithmetic, this is expressed as \[a^{p}\equiv a{\pmod {p}}.\] So, essentially, for every $(a,m)=1$, ${a}^{\phi (m)}\equiv 1 \pmod {m}$. But $\phi (m)$ isn't necessarily the smallest exponent. For example, we know $4^{12}\equiv 1\mod 13$ but so is $4^6$. So, we care about the "smallest" exponent $d$ such that $a^d\equiv 1\mod m$ given $(a,m)=1$.  Orders Given a prime $p$, the order of an integer $a$ modulo $p$, $p\nmid a$, is the smallest positive integer $d$, such that $a^d \equiv 1 \pmod p$. This is denoted $\text{ord}_p(a) = d$. If $p$ is a primes and $p\nmid a$, let $d$ be order of $a$ mod $p$. Then $a^n\equiv 1\pmod p\implies d|n$. Let $n=pd+r, r\ll d$. Which implies $a^r\equiv 1\pmod p.$ But $d$ is the smallest natural number. So $r=0$. So $d|n$. Show that $n$ divid...

Geometry ( Finally!!!)

 This is just such an unfair blog.  Like if one goes through this blog, one can notice how dominated  Algebra is!! Like 6 out of 9 blog post is Algebra dominated -_- Where as I am not a fan of Algebra, compared to other genres of Olympiad Math(as of now). And this was just injustice for Synthetic Geo. So this time , go geo!!!!!!!!!!!  These problems are randomly from A Beautiful Journey through Olympiad Geometry.  Also perhaps I will post geo after March, because I am studying combi.  Problem:  Let $ABC$ be an acute triangle where $\angle BAC = 60^{\circ}$. Prove that if the Euler’s line of $\triangle ABC$ intersects $AB$ and $AC$ at $D$ and $E$, respectively, then $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral. Solution:  Since $\angle A=60^{\circ}$ , we get $AH=2R\cos A=R=AO$. So $\angle EHA=\angle DOA.$ Also it's well known that $H$ and $O $ isogonal conjugates.$\angle OAD =\angle EAH.$ By $ASA$ congruence, we get $AE=AD.$ Hence $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral....

Solving Random ISLs And Sharygin Solutions! And INMO happened!!

Some of the ISLs I did before INMO :P  [2005 G3]:  Let $ABCD$ be a parallelogram. A variable line $g$ through the vertex $A$ intersects the rays $BC$ and $DC$ at the points $X$ and $Y$, respectively. Let $K$ and $L$ be the $A$-excenters of the triangles $ABX$ and $ADY$. Show that the angle $\measuredangle KCL$ is independent of the line $g$ Solution: Note that $$\Delta LDK \sim \Delta XBK$$ and $$\Delta ADY\sim \Delta XCY.$$ So we have $$\frac{BK}{DY}=\frac{XK}{LY}$$ and $$\frac{DY}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}=\frac{AY}{XY}.$$ Hence $$\frac{BK}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}\implies \frac{BK}{BC}=\frac{CY}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}=\frac{AB}{BC}\times \frac{XK}{LY} $$ $$\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{XK}{BK}=\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{LY}{DY}=\frac{AB}{DL}$$ $$\implies \Delta CBK\sim \Delta LDK$$ And we are done. We get that $$\angle KCL=360-(\angle ACB+\angle DKC+\angle BCK)=\angle DAB/2 +180-\angle DAB=180-\angle DAB/2$$ Motivation: I took a hint on this. I had other angles but I did...

Birthday Functional Equations problems

Heyoo!!! Birthday FEs!!!!!! $11$ FEs!! Also I would be posting solutions to RG's FE handout, I am done with 10 prs :P!! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$2f (x) - 5f (y) = 8, \forall x, y \in \Bbb R$$ Solution: $$2f(x)-5f(y)=8$$ $$\implies 2f(x)-5f(x)=8$$ $$\implies f(x)=\frac{-8}{3}, \text{ a constant function }$$ We did this in Rohan Bhaiya's FE class..Oh btw the EGMO camp is sooo niceee! I am loving it!! It's such a big deal to be able to train and attend the camp with EGMO team members! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$f (x) + xf (1 -x) = x, \forall x\in \Bbb R.$$ Solution: $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$f(1-x)+(1-x)f(x)=1-x$$ This is actually in the linear equations in two variable form! $$x+ay=a$$ $$y+bx=b$$ Anyways,  $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$xf(1-x)+f(x)(1-x)x=(1-x)x$$ $$ \implies f(x)(x-x^2)-f(x)=-x^2\implies f(x)=\frac{-x^2}{x-x^2-1}=\frac{x^2}{x^2-x+1}$$ But verifying, this doesn't work. Problem: ...

Introduction

  Hey Everyone!! This is my first Blog post. So let me give a brief introduction about myself. I am Sunaina Pati. I love solving Olympiad math problems,  learning crazy astronomical facts , playing hanabi and anti-chess, listening to Kpop , love making diagrams in Geogebra and  teaching other people maths 😊 . I love geometry , number theory and Combinatorics . I am starting this blog to keep myself a bit motivated in doing studies 😎 . Right now, I am planning to write walkthroughs on some of the best problems I tried over the week which can refer for hints 'cause solutions contain some major spoilers and one learns a lot while solving the problem on his own rather than seeing solutions . Also, there will be some reviews about Kpop songs, study techniques, my day to day lifestyles,exam reviews and ofc some non-sense surprises 😂.  I am planning to  try  posting every week on Sundays or Saturdays ( most probably) ! Though there is no guarantee about when I ...

IMO Shortlist 2021 C1

 I am planning to do at least one ISL every day so that I do not lose my Olympiad touch (and also they are fun to think about!). Today, I tried the 2021 IMO shortlist C1.  (2021 ISL C1) Let $S$ be an infinite set of positive integers, such that there exist four pairwise distinct $a,b,c,d \in S$ with $\gcd(a,b) \neq \gcd(c,d)$. Prove that there exist three pairwise distinct $x,y,z \in S$ such that $\gcd(x,y)=\gcd(y,z) \neq \gcd(z,x)$. Suppose not. Then any $3$ elements $x,y,z\in S$ will be $(x,y)=(y,z)=(x,z)$ or $(x,y)\ne (y,z)\ne (x,z)$. There exists an infinite set $T$ such that $\forall x,y\in T,(x,y)=d,$ where $d$ is constant. Fix a random element $a$. Note that $(x,a)|a$. So $(x,a)\le a$.Since there are infinite elements and finite many possibilities for the gcd (atmost $a$). So $\exists$ set $T$ which is infinite such that $\forall b_1,b_2\in T$ $$(a,b_1)=(a,b_2)=d.$$ Note that if $(b_1,b_2)\ne d$ then we get a contradiction as we get a set satisfying the proble...

INMO Scores and Results

Heya! INMO Results are out! Well, I am now a 3 times IMOTCer :D. Very excited to meet every one of you! My INMO score was exactly 26 with a distribution of 17|0|0|0|0|9, which was a fair grading cause after problem 1, I tried problem 6 next. I was hoping for some partials in problem 4 but didn't get any.  I am so so so excited to meet everyone! Can't believe my olympiad journey is going to end soon..  I thought to continue the improvement table I made last year! ( I would still have to add my EGMO performance and also IMO TST performance too) 2018-2019[ grade 8]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State rank 4], Wrote INMO 2019-2020[ grade 9]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State topper], Wrote INMO ( but flopped it) 2020-2021[grade 10]:  Cleared IOQM, Cleared INMO [ Through Girl's Quota] 2021-2022[grade 11]:  Wrote EGMO 2022 TST[ Rank 8], Qualified for IOQM part B directly, Cleared IOQM-B ( i.e INMO) [Through general quota],  2022-2023 [grade 12]:  Wrote E...