Skip to main content

TOP 10 problems of Week#1

This week was full Geo and NT 😊 .

Do try all problems first!! And if you guys get any nice solutions , do post in the comments section!

Here are the walkthroughs of this week's top 5 geo problems!

5th position (PUMac 2009 G8): Consider $\Delta ABC$ and a point $M$ in its interior so that $\angle MAB = 10^{\circ}, \angle MBA = 20^{\circ}, \angle MCA =30^{\circ}$ and $\angle MAC = 40^{\circ}$. What is $\angle MBC$? 

Walkthrough: a. Take $D$ as a point on $CM$ such that $\angle DAC=30^{\circ}$, and define $BD\cap AC=E$ . So $\Delta DAC$ is isosceles .

b. Show M is the incentre of $\Delta ABD$

c. Show $\angle EDC=60^{\circ}$

d. Show $\Delta BAC$ is isosceles .

e. So $\boxed{\angle MBC=60^{\circ}}$


4th position (IMO SL 2000 G4): Let $ A_1A_2 \ldots A_n$ be a convex polygon, $ n \geq 4.$ Prove that $ A_1A_2 \ldots A_n$ is cyclic if and only if to each vertex $ A_j$ one can assign a pair $ (b_j, c_j)$ of real numbers, $ j = 1, 2, \ldots, n,$ so that $ A_iA_j = b_jc_i - b_ic_j$ for all $ i, j$ with $ 1 \leq i < j \leq n.$

Walkthrough : Thanks to crystal1011 :)

a. Ptolemy is OP for both the cases

b. For the case where real numbers exists; prove it by ptolemy !

c. For the other case , we need to find one construction, find one!

d. $b_2=A_1A_2, c_1=1,b_1=0,c_2=0 $ . What can you say about $b_j$ and $c_j$?

e. Find about $b_j$ using formula on $A_1A_j$ and $c_j$ using formula on $A_2A_j$.

f. verify by ptolemy!

3rd position (AIME 2010 I P15):In $ \triangle{ABC}$ with $ AB = 12$, $ BC = 13$, and $ AC = 15$, let $ M$ be a point on $ \overline{AC}$ such that the incircles of $ \triangle{ABM}$ and $ \triangle{BCM}$ have equal radii. Let $ p$ and $ q$ be positive relatively prime integers such that $ \tfrac{AM}{CM} = \tfrac{p}{q}$. Find $ p + q$.

Walkthrough:  I kept it in 3rd position, not because it's cute or anything, I just want the people to go through the lethal pain I went through while solving this!

a. Denote $I_1,I_2$ as the centres and $D_1, D_2$ as the touch points. Let $AM=2x, CM=15-2x, BM=2y$

b. Use formula $ r = \sqrt {\frac {(s - a)(s - b)(s - c)}{s}}$ to get 2 equations. $(6+y-x)(x+6-y)= (-x+y+1)(x+y+6)$

c. The equations should be $r^2=\frac {(x+y-6)(6+y-x)(x+6-y)}{x+y+c}$ and $r^2=\frac{(x+y-1)(-x+14-y)(y+1-x)}{-x+y+14}$

d. Show $r^2=MD_1\cdot MD_2$ using the fact $\Delta MD_1I_1\sim \Delta ID_2M$.

e. Now we need to solve these equations, which I suffered 'cause I did a lot of sillies, anyways we get $(6+y-x)(x+6-y)= (-x+y+1)(x+y+6)$ 

$\implies -x^2+2xy-y^2+36=-x^2-5x+y^2+7y+6$ 

$ \implies 2y^2+7y-2xy-5x-30=0$ .

 Similarly $(x+y-1)(-x+14-y)=(x+y-6)(-x+y+14)$ 

$\implies -x^2-2xy+15x-y^2+15y-14=-x^2+20x+y^2+8y-84$ 

$\implies 2y^2 -7y+2xy+5x-70=0 $

f. Now it's trivial , and we get $\boxed{y=5}$. Find rest on your own :P.

2nd position (AIME II 2016/10): Triangle $ABC$ is inscribed in circle $\omega$. Points $P$ and $Q$ are on side $\overline{AB}$ with $AP<AQ$. Rays $CP$ and $CQ$ meet $\omega$ again at $S$ and $T$ (other than $C$), respectively. If $AP=4,PQ=3,QB=6,BT=5,$ and $AS=7$, then $ST=\frac{m}{n}$, where $m$ and $n$ are relatively prime positive integers. Find $m+n$ 

Walkthrough: Thanks to Crystal1011

a. Project through $C$ and notice  $ (A,Q;P,B)=(A,T;S,B) $ . Done!

1st Position (USAJMO 2016 P5): Let $\triangle ABC$ be an acute triangle, with $O$ as its circumcenter. Point $H$ is the foot of the perpendicular from $A$ to line $\overleftrightarrow{BC}$, and points $P$ and $Q$ are the feet of the perpendiculars from $H$ to the lines $\overleftrightarrow{AB}$ and $\overleftrightarrow{AC}$, respectively.

Given that$$AH^2=2\cdot AO^2,$$prove that the points $O,P,$ and $Q$ are collinear.

Walkthrough: a. $2AO^2$ looks nice.. introduce antipode of $A$(say $A'$)

b. invert wrt $A$ with radius $AH$.

c. Note that $O\rightarrow A', P\rightarrow B, Q\rightarrow C$. Conclude!


Next are the walkthroughs of this week's top 5 Number theory problems!

5th position(IMO 2009/1): Let $ n$ be a positive integer and let $ a_1,a_2,a_3,\ldots,a_k$ $ ( k\ge 2)$ be distinct integers in the set $ { 1,2,\ldots,n}$ such that $ n$ divides $ a_i(a_{i + 1} - 1)$ for $ i = 1,2,\ldots,k - 1$. Prove that $ n$ does not divide $ a_k(a_1 - 1).$

Walkthrough: a. For the sake of contradiction assume $n|a_k(a_1 - 1).$ 

b. Note that $a_ia_{i+1} \equiv a_i \pmod n\text{ for }i=1,2, \dots , k-1.$

c. Show $ a_1 \equiv a_1a_2a_3\cdots a_k \pmod n. $

d. So $a_1\equiv a_2 \pmod n$. contradiction

4th position (HMMT Feb 2017 NT): Find all pairs of positive integers $(a, b)$ for which $ab$

divides $a^{2017} + b.$

Walkthrough: a. Since $ab|a^{2017} + b \implies a|b $ . So let $b=b_1a$

b. Again we get $a^2b_1|a^{2017} + ab_1 \implies a|b_1 $. So let $b_1=b_2a$ , and the process continues .

c. Finally show $ab_{2017}|1+b_{2017}$

d. Hence $a=1,2 $ . 

e. Conclude using the fact that $b|a^{2017}$

3rd position (IMO 2013 N1): Let $\mathbb{Z} _{>0}$ be the set of positive integers. Find all functions $f: \mathbb{Z} _{>0}\rightarrow \mathbb{Z} _{>0}$ such that

$$ m^2 + f(n) \mid mf(m) +n $$

for all positive integers $m$ and $n$.

Walkthrough: Part b and c are useless TBH.

 a. take $P(n,n)$ and show $n\leq f(n)$ (for $n>1$)

b. with $P(x,1)$, where $f(1)=x$ ,show that $1=f(1)$ 

c. with $P(2,2)$, show that $f(2)=2$.

d. with $P(2,x)$, show that $f(x)\le x$, so $f(x)=x$

2nd position (IMO ShortList 2004, number theory problem 3):Find all functions $ f: \mathbb{N^{*}}\to \mathbb{N^{*}}$ satisfying

$ \left(f^{2}\left(m\right)+f\left(n\right)\right) \mid \left(m^{2}+n\right)^{2}$

for any two positive integers $ m$ and $ n$.

Walkthrough: a. take $P(1,1)$ and show $f(1)=1$

b. take $P(1,p-1)$ for prime $p$ , show $f(p-1)=p-1$ or $p(p-1) $

c.take $P(p-1,1)$ , show that if $f(p-1)=p(p-1)$ then $(p(p-1))^2 +1 \leq (p^2 - 2p + 2)^2 $ . which is not possible for large $p$. So $f(p-1)=p-1$.

d. take $P(x,n)$ , where x is a  very large number of the form $p-1 $. 

e. Show that $x^2+f(n)|(f(n)-n)^2 \implies f(n)=n$

1st position(APMO 2009/P4): Prove that for any positive integer $ k$, there exists an arithmetic sequence $ \frac{a_1}{b_1}, \frac{a_2}{b_2}, \frac{a_3}{b_3}, ... ,\frac{a_k}{b_k}$ of rational numbers, where $ a_i, b_i$ are relatively prime positive integers for each $ i = 1,2,...,k$ such that the positive integers $ a_1, b_1, a_2, b_2, ...,  a_k, b_k$ are all distinct.

Walkthrough: Credits to anser and SnowPanda . This very intuitive problem, and in my opinion, walkthrough won't be that good.

a. try to introduce $k!$ as denominator.  What about $\frac{1}{k!}, \frac{2}{k!},\dots \frac{k}{k!}$ ? This does form an AM sequence and we can reduce it to lowest form too , but this doesn't ensure that the  numerators and denominators will be different. 

b. One way to ensure this is multiply some large $p$ ( should be greater than $k$). 

c. Still $\frac{p}{k!},\frac{ p}{(k!/2)}, ..., \frac{p }{(k!/k)}$ doesn't satisfy all the a_i's to be different 

d. So what about  $\frac{p(k! + 1)}{k!},\frac{ p(k!/2 + 1)}{(k!/2)}, ..., \frac{p(k!/k + 1)}{(k!/k)}$ for some very large prime $p$ ? Show that this works!

So these were my top 10 ! I personally loved the 1st position geo problem 😊. It was first giving so bad computational vibes, but it turned out to be so good! 

What are your top 10s, do write in the comments section (at least write something ! I will be happy to hear your comments ). Follow this blog if you want to see more contest math problems! See you all soon 😊.

---

I also compiled them in a pdf here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OB-lFxxPDP_SbaK4yy0k8lTGYiE1_y9G/view?usp=sharing

Sunaina 💜




Comments

  1. Oh computational geo ;( :(

    The NT are nice though :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idea of walkthroughs is awesome! Also, nice problem selection!

    About G3, a (kind of) synthetic solution was posted here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh... idk why that hyperlink is not working...anyway: https://artofproblemsolving.com/community/c5h338911p7778627

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. A suggestion I have with me, If possible please upload diagrams didi like you can make it in geogebra and take a screenshot from their, no need to draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so, I prefer drawing over ggb 'cause ggb is hanikarak for oly people

      Delete
    2. yeah i also try to avoid ggb as due to it i failed to draw a nice diagram in INMO 2022 P1 and nice construction is always a merit

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to prepare for RMO?

"Let's wait for this exam to get over".. *Proceeds to wait for 2 whole fricking years!  I always wanted to write a book recommendation list, because I have been asked so many times! But then I was always like "Let's wait for this exam to get over" and so on. Why? You see it's pretty embarrassing to write a "How to prepare for RMO/INMO" post and then proceed to "fail" i.e not qualifying.  Okay okay, you might be thinking, "Sunaina you qualified like in 10th grade itself, you will obviously qualify in 11th and 12th grade." No. It's not that easy. Plus you are talking to a very underconfident girl. I have always underestimated myself. And I think that's the worst thing one can do itself. Am I confident about myself now? Definitely not but I am learning not to self-depreciate myself little by little. Okay, I shall write more about it in the next post describing my experience in 3 different camps and 1 program.  So, I got...

My experiences at EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience

Yes, I know. This post should have been posted like 2 months ago. Okay okay, sorry. But yeah, I was just waiting for everything to be over and I was lazy. ( sorry ) You know, the transitioning period from high school to college is very weird. I will join CMI( Chennai Mathematical  Institue) for bsc maths and cs degree. And I am very scared. Like very very scared. No, not about making new friends and all. I don't care about that part because I know a decent amount of CMI people already.  What I am scared of is whether I will be able to handle the coursework and get good grades T_T Anyways, here's my EGMO PDC, EGMO, IMOTC and PROMYS experience. Yes, a lot of stuff. My EGMO experience is a lot and I wrote a lot of details, IMOTC and PROMYS is just a few paras. Oh to those, who don't know me or are reading for the first time. I am Sunaina Pati. I was IND2 at EGMO 2023 which was held in Slovenia. I was also invited to the IMOTC or International Mathematical Olympiad Training Cam...

How to prepare for INMO

Since INMO is coming up, it would be nice to write a post about it! A lot of people have been asking me for tips. To people who are visiting this site for the first time, hi! I am Sunaina Pati, an undergrad student at Chennai Mathematical Institute. I was an INMO awardee in 2021,2022,2023. I am also very grateful to be part of the India EGMO 2023 delegation. Thanks to them I got a silver medal!  I think the title of the post might be clickbait for some. What I want to convey is how I would have prepared for INMO if I were to give it again. Anyway, so here are a few tips for people! Practice, practice, practice!! I can not emphasize how important this is. This is the only way you can realise which areas ( that is combinatorics, geometry, number theory, algebra) are your strength and where you need to work on. Try the problems as much as you want, and make sure you use all the ideas you can possibly think of before looking at a hint. So rather than fixing time as a measure to dec...

Orders and Primitive roots

 Theory  We know what Fermat's little theorem states. If $p$ is a prime number, then for any integer $a$, the number $a^p − a$ is an integer multiple of $p$. In the notation of modular arithmetic, this is expressed as \[a^{p}\equiv a{\pmod {p}}.\] So, essentially, for every $(a,m)=1$, ${a}^{\phi (m)}\equiv 1 \pmod {m}$. But $\phi (m)$ isn't necessarily the smallest exponent. For example, we know $4^{12}\equiv 1\mod 13$ but so is $4^6$. So, we care about the "smallest" exponent $d$ such that $a^d\equiv 1\mod m$ given $(a,m)=1$.  Orders Given a prime $p$, the order of an integer $a$ modulo $p$, $p\nmid a$, is the smallest positive integer $d$, such that $a^d \equiv 1 \pmod p$. This is denoted $\text{ord}_p(a) = d$. If $p$ is a primes and $p\nmid a$, let $d$ be order of $a$ mod $p$. Then $a^n\equiv 1\pmod p\implies d|n$. Let $n=pd+r, r\ll d$. Which implies $a^r\equiv 1\pmod p.$ But $d$ is the smallest natural number. So $r=0$. So $d|n$. Show that $n$ divid...

Geometry ( Finally!!!)

 This is just such an unfair blog.  Like if one goes through this blog, one can notice how dominated  Algebra is!! Like 6 out of 9 blog post is Algebra dominated -_- Where as I am not a fan of Algebra, compared to other genres of Olympiad Math(as of now). And this was just injustice for Synthetic Geo. So this time , go geo!!!!!!!!!!!  These problems are randomly from A Beautiful Journey through Olympiad Geometry.  Also perhaps I will post geo after March, because I am studying combi.  Problem:  Let $ABC$ be an acute triangle where $\angle BAC = 60^{\circ}$. Prove that if the Euler’s line of $\triangle ABC$ intersects $AB$ and $AC$ at $D$ and $E$, respectively, then $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral. Solution:  Since $\angle A=60^{\circ}$ , we get $AH=2R\cos A=R=AO$. So $\angle EHA=\angle DOA.$ Also it's well known that $H$ and $O $ isogonal conjugates.$\angle OAD =\angle EAH.$ By $ASA$ congruence, we get $AE=AD.$ Hence $\triangle ADE$ is equilateral....

Solving Random ISLs And Sharygin Solutions! And INMO happened!!

Some of the ISLs I did before INMO :P  [2005 G3]:  Let $ABCD$ be a parallelogram. A variable line $g$ through the vertex $A$ intersects the rays $BC$ and $DC$ at the points $X$ and $Y$, respectively. Let $K$ and $L$ be the $A$-excenters of the triangles $ABX$ and $ADY$. Show that the angle $\measuredangle KCL$ is independent of the line $g$ Solution: Note that $$\Delta LDK \sim \Delta XBK$$ and $$\Delta ADY\sim \Delta XCY.$$ So we have $$\frac{BK}{DY}=\frac{XK}{LY}$$ and $$\frac{DY}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}=\frac{AY}{XY}.$$ Hence $$\frac{BK}{CY}=\frac{AD}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}\implies \frac{BK}{BC}=\frac{CY}{XC}\times \frac{XK}{LY}=\frac{AB}{BC}\times \frac{XK}{LY} $$ $$\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{XK}{BK}=\frac{AB}{LY}\times \frac{LY}{DY}=\frac{AB}{DL}$$ $$\implies \Delta CBK\sim \Delta LDK$$ And we are done. We get that $$\angle KCL=360-(\angle ACB+\angle DKC+\angle BCK)=\angle DAB/2 +180-\angle DAB=180-\angle DAB/2$$ Motivation: I took a hint on this. I had other angles but I did...

IMO Shortlist 2021 C1

 I am planning to do at least one ISL every day so that I do not lose my Olympiad touch (and also they are fun to think about!). Today, I tried the 2021 IMO shortlist C1.  (2021 ISL C1) Let $S$ be an infinite set of positive integers, such that there exist four pairwise distinct $a,b,c,d \in S$ with $\gcd(a,b) \neq \gcd(c,d)$. Prove that there exist three pairwise distinct $x,y,z \in S$ such that $\gcd(x,y)=\gcd(y,z) \neq \gcd(z,x)$. Suppose not. Then any $3$ elements $x,y,z\in S$ will be $(x,y)=(y,z)=(x,z)$ or $(x,y)\ne (y,z)\ne (x,z)$. There exists an infinite set $T$ such that $\forall x,y\in T,(x,y)=d,$ where $d$ is constant. Fix a random element $a$. Note that $(x,a)|a$. So $(x,a)\le a$.Since there are infinite elements and finite many possibilities for the gcd (atmost $a$). So $\exists$ set $T$ which is infinite such that $\forall b_1,b_2\in T$ $$(a,b_1)=(a,b_2)=d.$$ Note that if $(b_1,b_2)\ne d$ then we get a contradiction as we get a set satisfying the proble...

Birthday Functional Equations problems

Heyoo!!! Birthday FEs!!!!!! $11$ FEs!! Also I would be posting solutions to RG's FE handout, I am done with 10 prs :P!! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$2f (x) - 5f (y) = 8, \forall x, y \in \Bbb R$$ Solution: $$2f(x)-5f(y)=8$$ $$\implies 2f(x)-5f(x)=8$$ $$\implies f(x)=\frac{-8}{3}, \text{ a constant function }$$ We did this in Rohan Bhaiya's FE class..Oh btw the EGMO camp is sooo niceee! I am loving it!! It's such a big deal to be able to train and attend the camp with EGMO team members! Problem: Find all functions $f :\Bbb R \rightarrow \Bbb R$ such that $$f (x) + xf (1 -x) = x, \forall x\in \Bbb R.$$ Solution: $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$f(1-x)+(1-x)f(x)=1-x$$ This is actually in the linear equations in two variable form! $$x+ay=a$$ $$y+bx=b$$ Anyways,  $$f(x)+xf(1-x)=x$$ $$xf(1-x)+f(x)(1-x)x=(1-x)x$$ $$ \implies f(x)(x-x^2)-f(x)=-x^2\implies f(x)=\frac{-x^2}{x-x^2-1}=\frac{x^2}{x^2-x+1}$$ But verifying, this doesn't work. Problem: ...

Introduction

  Hey Everyone!! This is my first Blog post. So let me give a brief introduction about myself. I am Sunaina Pati. I love solving Olympiad math problems,  learning crazy astronomical facts , playing hanabi and anti-chess, listening to Kpop , love making diagrams in Geogebra and  teaching other people maths 😊 . I love geometry , number theory and Combinatorics . I am starting this blog to keep myself a bit motivated in doing studies 😎 . Right now, I am planning to write walkthroughs on some of the best problems I tried over the week which can refer for hints 'cause solutions contain some major spoilers and one learns a lot while solving the problem on his own rather than seeing solutions . Also, there will be some reviews about Kpop songs, study techniques, my day to day lifestyles,exam reviews and ofc some non-sense surprises 😂.  I am planning to  try  posting every week on Sundays or Saturdays ( most probably) ! Though there is no guarantee about when I ...

INMO Scores and Results

Heya! INMO Results are out! Well, I am now a 3 times IMOTCer :D. Very excited to meet every one of you! My INMO score was exactly 26 with a distribution of 17|0|0|0|0|9, which was a fair grading cause after problem 1, I tried problem 6 next. I was hoping for some partials in problem 4 but didn't get any.  I am so so so excited to meet everyone! Can't believe my olympiad journey is going to end soon..  I thought to continue the improvement table I made last year! ( I would still have to add my EGMO performance and also IMO TST performance too) 2018-2019[ grade 8]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State rank 4], Wrote INMO 2019-2020[ grade 9]:  Cleared PRMO, Cleared RMO[ State topper], Wrote INMO ( but flopped it) 2020-2021[grade 10]:  Cleared IOQM, Cleared INMO [ Through Girl's Quota] 2021-2022[grade 11]:  Wrote EGMO 2022 TST[ Rank 8], Qualified for IOQM part B directly, Cleared IOQM-B ( i.e INMO) [Through general quota],  2022-2023 [grade 12]:  Wrote E...